Sunday, October 10, 2010

June 29, '97 Brother Stephen B. Allen

Brother Stephen B. Allen, Missionary Executive Committee Guy...
We are a royal army. How often does Satan splash us in the face like a water fountain with the pressure going up and down. because the person on the fountain connected to yours keeps pushing and releasing their button. A little child won't know why he's getting splashed in the face, and often we don't know, don't realize don't recognize where our trials are coming from. One of the Lord's greatest pet peeves is when we do not recognize his hand in all things and be obedient. When we are disobedient, we give Satan power. If we are really disobedient, then he can take complete control of you and destroy you. He workds every day with his angels to destroy us. Ammon in Alma 26 is giving his homecoming address. He converted 7 cities of Lamanites -- thousands! Verse 27 tells us that depression comes with the job. There will be tough days because there is a price to pay to do this work. Are we prepared to suffer? Privation -- something you have given up in order to be a missionary -- 10 stood to say what they have given up: family, radio, nephew, working on farm, roller skates, grandfather, CDs, Dixie, girlfriend, Mom.

List every single blessing you have, as though you will lose anything that's not listed:
My mother, my grandmother, Richard, Rachel, Ren, Ranell, my cousin Toby.
Electricity, clean water, and lots of it.
Time to study at IU and BYU.
Learning the Russian language. Serving a mission. My awesome MTC companion.
My dad choosing to become Mormon and my Mom choosing to stay Mormon.
My friend Kevin.
My experience with Ken.
My cars -- my Sable & the lessons it taught me, my Datsun and its dependability, my new Nissan and its cruise control and air conditioning.
Elder Stone and his letters.
Ice cream.
Endurance.
Prayers.
The Saviors atonement for my sins (I'm not even going to try o list them! let this one be inclusive!)
My friend Nicole who bought me these clothes.
Meagan and her parents' generosity.
My temple time.
The gift of tongues.
My ward supporting me on my mission.
My dog, Gloria, and her love for my mother.
Arts -- dance, visual, music.
Priesthood and my growing understanding of it.
Patriarchal blessing and the guidance it gives me.
This was a timed activity -- five minutes. After which a random selection of people had to share one thing on their list. Other things: Joseph Smith, scriptures, testimony, socks...

You are never alone... the Lord knows us and he will bless us as well as our families. We will bless the day that we endured to the end, amidst trial and affliction.

No comments:

Post a Comment